CHANA MASALA RECIPE
Chana Masala which is also known as Chole Masala. A mainly vegetable from North India prepared nearly every Indian kitchen. Indian food is all about the flavours and spices in a particular steps and this recipe teaches you how to do just that…
• Vegetable Oil
• 4 green cardamom pods
• 5 whole cloves
• 3 bay leaves
• 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
• 1 tbsp whole cumin seeds
• 2 cups chopped onions
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tablespoon fresh ginger-garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon Indian red chili powder (or 2 tsp cayenne)
• 2 cups chopped tomatoes
• 1/3 cup chana masala powder
• 1-2 cups water, as needed
• 1 28-oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
• Juice of one lime
1. Heat a large deep bottom pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to barely coat the bottom of the pan and heat until shimmering.
2. Add the cardamom, clove, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and cumin seeds. The cumin seeds will sizzle and stir fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
3. Add the chopped onions and 1 tsp salt and cook until deep brown around the edges, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the turmeric and ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes have broken down and the mixture looks like a slightly thick paste.
6. Add the chana masala powder and chilli powder. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add water – the exact amount depends on how much “gravy” you want in the final dish.
8. Add the chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
9. Add salt to taste, lime juice.
10. Serve with rice or your favourite Indian flatbread.